Butler SWCD provides two scholarships annually; a scholarship for a high school student to attend the Ohio Forestry and Wildlife Camp, and a college scholarship. Please find details below.
Forestry & Wildlife Conservation Camp Scholarship
June 9-14, 2013
Ohio Forestry Camp provides a unique opportunity for high school students to experience the forest and the trees. Students study up-close and learn first hand how to appreciate Ohio’s forest and related natural resources.
- Location: Camp Muskingum, in the beautiful rolling hills of Carroll County.
- Who: Any Butler County student who has completed 8th grade and is at least fifteen years of age can apply.
- Cost: Camp will only cost one lucky Butler County teen $50. This includes all meals from Sun to Fri and access to all camp facilities. You are responsible for transportation cost to and from camp.
- To Apply: Contact Butler SWCD at (513) 887-3720 for an application, or download the application form on the forestry camp website. Return the application along with a letter stating your concern and interest in conservation and why you would like to attend Forestry Camp.
- Due Date: All applications must be received at Butler SWCD by May 1, each year. Ohio Forestry Camp applications will be processed on a first come, first served basis. Space is limited.
Gerald A. Morris College Scholarship
The Butler SWCD is offering a non-renewable $500 college scholarship to students enrolling in classes which focus on the conservation of natural resources.
- Applicants must have parents or guardians who reside in Butler County.
- Open to students of Sophomore status, who are pursuing a bachelor or associate degree at an accredited university or college. Juniors and Seniors may apply, however, preference will be given to Sophomore students. Students of Freshmen status who are certain he or she will be of Sophomore status beginning the next school year, may still apply.
- Applicants must have a decided major in natural resource education, agriculture, land management, or a related field.
- Student must show proof of completion, in the form of a transcript, of passing grades in previous classes in their major.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) as of the most recent grading period.
Recent, original transcript (no photocopies)
One letter of recommendation, by employer or teacher (past or current)
Original, personal essay pertaining to the reason for choosing a degree in a conservation-related field. The essay must be typed and be completed with 400 to 500 words.
Also include a title page which lists the following information:
- Phone Number
- High School Attended
- College or University:
- Second Major if applicable
- Second Minor if applicable
- Names and Amounts of other scholarships received
Applications must be received in the Butler SWCD office before 4:00 P.M. on May 31, every year. The Butler SWCD is located in the Agricultural Building at 1802 Princeton Road, Suite 300, Hamilton, OH 45011. If applications are mailed, please include "Attn: Lynn White".
The recipient of this non-renewable scholarship will receive a letter and the $500 check. The scholarship is intended to be used for either tuition or books for the upcoming Fall Semester. Recipients will be invited to the Butler SWCD Annual Meeting to receive the check.
The deciding committee reserves the right to refuse the application due to any component, including: its incomplete condition, essay and recommendation letter content, course type, and previous scholarship earnings
Any questions regarding this scholarship or other Butler SWCD services, please contact either Lynn White, Education Specialist, or Kevin Fall, District Program Administrator at 513-887-3720 or by email.
Farm Bureau of Butler County
The Farm Buraeu offers 7 scholarships totalling more than $3,500. Please see their web for scholarship deaadlines.
Butler Rural Electic Coop's Children of Consumers Scholarship
Every spring, Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. awards two first-place college scholarships and two second-place scholarships to high school seniors whose parents or guardians are members of the cooperative. Please see their web for details and deadlines.
The Outdoor Writers of Ohio, Inc.
The Outdoor Writers of Ohio, Inc. is offering a $1,000.00 scholarship for an Ohio college student majoring in a conservation-related course of study, such as fisheries, wildlife, forestry, water quality, outdoor journalism, parks/recreation or related fields. See pdf for details.